Use your textbook, Sue and Sue’s Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice, to complete the following:
- Read Chapter 1, “Obstacles to Cultural Competence: Understanding Resistance to Multicultural Training,” pages 5–33.
Use the Capella University Library to complete the following:
- Read Arredondo’s 1999 article, “Multicultural Counseling Competencies as Tools to Address Oppression and Racism,” from Journal of Counseling and Development, volume 77, issue 1, pages 102–107.
Use the Internet to locate and explore the Code of Ethics and Professional Standards related to cultural competence and social justice advocacy (you will use these codes of ethics to complete Unit 1 Discussion 2, Cultural Competence and Social Justice Advocacy):
- American Counseling Association. Explore the ACA Web site and browse the publications. Specifically, read these publications:
- Ethics and Professional Standards.
- Advocacy Competency Domains.
- NAADAC: The Association for Addiction Professionals. Explore the NAADAC Web site and read the following:
Dr. Sue and Dr. Kiselica: Reactions and Defenses
LAUNCH PRESENTATION |Transcript
In Chapter 1, Sue and Sue emphasize that understanding diverse groups and what it means to be disempowered requires more than reading and coursework. They urge us to be courageous in exploring ourselves, and others, as cultural beings; to take care to listen to personal narratives and understand what it means to be marginalized, and to seek out experiences with people who are different from us.
In this course we have a clear opportunity to learn from one another and the diverse experiences each of us brings. For this discussion activity, prepare a post that accomplishes the following:
- Introduce yourself to your peers, first speaking to one or two aspects of you and your family members’ bio-psycho-social identities (such as age, ethnicity, family configuration, gender, immigration history or status, physical appearance, physical ability, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, et cetera) that have been salient in your life, which you feel safe sharing, and how they have resulted in challenges or opportunities.
- Then speak to one or two aspects of the bio-psycho-social identities (yours and your family members’) that have not been salient for you, and consider why you have not paid much to attention these aspects of yourself.
- Discuss how these aspects of your identities have resulted in challenges or opportunities for you and/or your family members.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post Cultural Introductions appeared first on My Nursing Experts.
"Are you looking for this answer? We can Help click Order Now"