Infinitive and Gerund
Here are some of the rules for a Gerund and Infinitive. Do the worksheet for points.
After certain verbs (with to) Example: He refused to pay the bill.
â€¢ afford â€¢ agree â€¢ appear â€¢ arrange â€¢ beg â€¢ choose â€¢ decide
â€¢ expect â€¢ fail â€¢ help (also without to) â€¢ hesitate â€¢ hope â€¢ learn
â€¢ manage â€¢ mean â€¢ offer â€¢ plan â€¢ prepare â€¢ pretend â€¢ promise
â€¢ refuse â€¢ want â€¢ wish â€¢ would like â€¢ would love â€¢ would prefer
After a preposition Example: I did my homework before going out.
Verbs followed by Gerund Example: I enjoy cooking.
â€¢ admit â€¢ advise â€¢ allow â€¢ avoid â€¢ can’t help
â€¢ can’t stand â€¢ deny â€¢ dislike â€¢ enjoy â€¢ fancy
â€¢ finish â€¢ keep â€¢ mind â€¢ miss â€¢ permit
â€¢ practice â€¢ suggest â€¢ waste time / money
Verbs with Prepositions followed by Gerund
Example: I’m looking forward to seeing you again soon.
â€¢ accuse of â€¢ agree with â€¢ apologize for â€¢ ask about â€¢ believe in â€¢ be used to
â€¢ blame for â€¢ care for â€¢ carry on â€¢ complain about â€¢ concentrate on â€¢ depend on
â€¢ dream about/of â€¢ feel like â€¢ forgive for â€¢ give up â€¢ insist on â€¢ keep on
â€¢ look forward to â€¢ object to â€¢ think of â€¢ succeed in â€¢ use for
Put the verb into the correct form:
1. I donâ€t fancy ______________ (go) out tonight.
2. She avoided ______________ (tell) him about her plans.
3. I would like ______________ (come) to the party with you.
4. He enjoys ______________ (have) a bath in the evening.
5. She kept ______________ (talk) during the film.
6. I am learning ______________ (speak) English.
7. Do you mind ______________ (give) me a hand?
8. She helped me ______________ (carry) my suitcases.
9. Iâ€ve finished ______________ (cook). Come and eat!
10. He decided ______________ (study) Biology.
11. I dislike ______________ (wait).
12. He asked ______________ (come) with us.
13. I promise ______________ (help) you tomorrow.
14. We discussed ______________ (go) to the cinema, but in the end we stayed at
15. She agreed ______________ (bring) the pudding.
16. I donâ€t recommend ______________ (take) the bus, it takes forever!
17. We hope ______________ (visit) Amsterdam next month.
18. She suggested ______________ (go) to the museum.
19. They plan ______________ (start) college in the autumn.
20. I donâ€t want ______________ (leave) yet.
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post infinitive and gerund appeared first on My Nursing Experts.