Read Guha, “Radical American Environmentalism and Wilderness Preservation: A Third World Critique” and answer the following question:
1. Why does Guha think the emphasis on wilderness preservation is harmful?
2. What problem does he have with the invocation of Eastern Religion?
3. How does he believe that elements of deep ecology favor the rich and urban elite in the third world?
Read Regan, “The Case for Animal Rights” and answer the following questions:
1. What is the basic similarity between human and nonhuman beings that is the focus of Reagan’s account?
2. How does Reagan understand the inherent value of nonhuman animals?
3. How does his view of the equality of inherent value lead to an abolitionist conclusion with regard to animal experimentation and commercial animal agriculture?