3 texts : Gilman,“The Yellow Wallpaper,”and “Why I wrote The Yellow Wallpaper”
and S. Weir Mitchell, “The Evolution of the Rest Treatment”
In designing your answers, your goal is to answer each question directly and to provide supporting quotation for all your ideas. After each quotation, provide in parentheses the appropriate page or paragraph number
1. Describe the narrator of “The Yellow Wallpaper” with two adjectives. Which of the narrator’s specific actions or thoughts prove your ideas
2. The narrator remarks of her husband, “[H]e hates to have me write a single word” (paragraph 36). Explain why John does not want his wife to write.
3. Paragraphs 121 through 127 describe “the woman in the wallpaper.” What do they tell us about the narrator
4. In “Why I Wrote ‘The Yellow Wallpaper,’” Gilman comments that work saved her from madness (paragraph 6). Carefully read her explanation of this idea, and explain in your own words why Gilman considered her work her salvation.
5. In “The Evolution of the Rest Treatment” Mitchell describes the case of “Mrs. G.” Why does he consider this case significant In what ways does “Mrs. G” resemble the narrator of “The Yellow Wallpaper” In what ways does she resemble Gilman as she describes herself in “Why I Wrote ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’ ”