All reports should be 750-1000 words and must contain these distinct parts:
1. Your report title should tell where you visited and when.
2. In the first paragraph (only the first paragraph; approximately 150-250
words), briefly describe your experience of participant observation. How did you react to the experience, subjectively, and how might that have influenced your perceptions and analysis? Were you engaged? In wonder? Vexed? Embarrassed? Bored? Confused? Did you feel at home or out of place? Comfortable or ill at ease? Were there any difficulties? Weird situations? Use this section to make sure you pay attention to your own role in the experience.
3. Your second paragraph (a short one; approximately 100-150) should describe in general terms the social setting that you visited.
4. In the remaining paragraphs (totaling approximately 500-600 words), drawing on your field notes, you should concisely analyze how you observed race, white racism, and/or racial inequality manifest itself in Southwest Florida. This may or may not require you to take an intersectional approach (e.g. how race interacted with class and/or gender or another social identity). You should cite at least 3 distinct course readings (from different authors) in support of your analysis.
****** Mandatory Formatting Requirements for Seeing Race in Southwest Florida Paper ******
1. Papers must be submitted via Canvas
2. 750-word min./1000-word max. (about 3-4 pgs.) not including any references you may
have; you may exceed the page length requirement by 100 words if you find it necessary to do so. Otherwise, papers that exceed 1100 words or do not meet the 1000-word minimum requirement will incur a penalty
3. Provide a title and a subtitle
4. 12 point, Times New Roman font
6. 1-inch margins on all sides (This is not
necessarily the default setting)
7. Pages numbers
8. APA format should be used for any
outside references that you use and for in- text citations. The following website will be helpful if you are unfamiliar with APA Style: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/ resource/560/01/
9. All papers must include the following information: Name, Date, Course, Semester, Instructor (single spaced at the top left of the paper)
THE ATTACHMENT DOWN BELOW IS NOTES TO WRITING THE ESSAY.. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO ASK!!!!!!!